Димитра Канева, Young FoE Steering Group Member
WTF: What the Cine-Festival took place on a virtual platform, between May 1st and 23rd, 2021 as part of the System:Reset project of Young FoEE. Nearly 100 young people came together, watched 9 movies and participated in 5 cinema debates!
The topics of the documentaries ranged from intersectionality to food systems. What is more, during the five post-screening discussions the audience had the chance to ask live questions on all kinds of topics raised in the films!
The voices of young people, and marginalized youth have been heard as well as their local struggles and actions. We had the opportunity to hear their amazing work, how do they envision their communities and learn on how to support them.
‘WTF: What The cine-Festival’ included the virtual screenings of nine documentary films:
- Daughter of the Lake;
- There’s Something in the Water;
- Kiss the Ground;
- A Fierce Green Fire;
- Fire and Flood;
- Cooked: Survival by Zip-Code;
- 2040 and
- Generation Green New Deal.
The discussions featured the film-makers and spokespeople for the films:
- Ernesto Cabellos, Director of Daughter of the Lake;
- Silas Siakor, Liberian activist;
- Nate Birnbaum, Producer of Generation Green New Deal and
- Ryland Engelhart, Co-founder of Kiss the Ground.
A number of young activists from the System:Reset local hubs from all over Europe also joined the discussions as speakers.
Meet Young Activists from local hubs
We were happy to welcome:
- Evi Charalambous and Thea Christoforou from Cyprus, Activsis from Historical and Environmental Group of Mathiatis;
- Emma Jayne Gerathy from Young FoE Ireland;
- Padraig McDermott from Liberia Solidarity Group;
- Ena Utevska from North Macedonia from Kolektiv Z;
- Anna Herberholz from Germany from BUNDjugend and
- Ana Mileusnik from Croatia from Zelena Akcija.
If you want to get in touch with us and learn more about the project, contact us!
This event is organised with the financial support of the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe and the European Union.