Job: Young Friends of the Earth Coordinator
Deadline: 5 September 2023
Based in: Friends of the Earth Europe office, Brussels
Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) campaigns at the heart of Europe for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. We are the largest grassroots environmental network in Europe, uniting 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups as part of Friends of the Earth International. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world, founded on social, economic, racial, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation.
Young Friends of the Earth Europe (YFoEE) is a non-formal network comprising of youth groups and young activists from FoEE member organizations, all of whom are volunteers and work with marginalized young individuals from across Europe in a participatory and inclusive manner, with environmental and climate justice at the heart of our work.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join us as the Young Friends of the Earth Coordinator, to coordinate and support work of Young Friends of the Earth Europe.
In this role, you will play a crucial part in supporting the Young Friends of the Earth network by coordinating and organizing activities, fostering capacity building, and amplifying the voices of young activists. You will ensure alignment with FoEE’s strategy and priorities, driving positive change within our organisation and working closely with YFoEE’s Steering Group, the decision-making body of the network.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an environmental justice NGO working at the European level and a vibrant European network.
- Coordinating the development and implementation of the strategy and annual work plan for the YFoEE network, including budget and finance management.
- Creating and developing projects for funding applications, targeting youth-focused foundations and programs in cooperation with FoEE’s fundraising coordinator.
- Representing YFoEE among European youth groups, building networks, and facilitating collaboration in cooperation with YFoEE Steering group.
- Supporting and coordinating the YFoEE Steering Group, supporting their decision-making processes, ensuring clear terms of reference, operational guidelines, and regular meetings.
- Organizing and delivering capacity building events for the network, fostering the growth and development of young activists.
Requirements for the role-holder:
- Strong commitment to the vision, mission, and values of FoEE and YFoEE.
- Ability to work collaboratively in diverse organizations and groups, promoting participatory and inclusive approaches.
- Excellent relationship building and networking skills to establish successful partnerships with the Steering Group, member groups, and external partners.
- Analytical skills to process information from varied sources and prepare reports and presentations.
- Proficiency in oral and written English, as it is the working language of the position.
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage processes, meet deadlines, and prioritize workloads.
- Knowledge of finance and budgetary cycles.
- Ability and skills to facilitate inclusive and participative decision-making processes.
- Experience in project management.
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings, weekends, and travel abroad, as required.
- Self-motivation, ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Innovative and creative mindset, capable of developing and implementing new ideas.
- Background in NGO or voluntary activities.
- Ability to speak and write one or more European languages in addition to English.
This position is offered as a full-time position in Brussels, Belgium with an initial contract duration of twelve months, which may become permanent based on performance and available funding.
We offer a salary between between 2900 € and 4000 € gross, depending on a competency assessment and experience.
FoEE offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month salary, lunch vouchers, an additional five days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalization and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium. FoEE offers a motivating working environment in an international office located in an environmentally-friendly NGO building.
Conditions of employment comply with Belgian legislation. To carry out the job, the team member must be based in Belgium. The job is subject to FoEE’s teleworking policy, which allows for hybrid working.
Friends of the Earth Europe strongly encourages candidates of all backgrounds and descriptions to apply, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin color, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive office environment.
To request an application form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Send your completed application form and CV by 5 September 2023 23.59h CET to email@example.com.
The ideal starting date of the post is as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to undertake a written test (maximum duration 4 hours).
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only short-listed candidates – thank you for your understanding.